How long does it take to get results from a swab test?
This also allows the lab to tell which antibiotics will work the best. It usually takes 2 to 3 days to get the results. Sometimes the tests done from the swabs are not cultures, but are genetic tests to look for gonorrhea or chlamydia. The newest test is done with a urine sample rather than swabs.
An endocervical gram stain is very similar to a Pap smear, which is also done using a swab and a speculum. Don't douche (clean your vaginal area with special washes) for 24 hours before the endocervical gram stain. Douching may mask the bacteria in the cervix.
- The urine culture is used to diagnose a urinary tract infection (UTI) and to identify the bacteria or yeast causing the infection. It may be done in conjunction with susceptibility testing to determine which antibiotics will inhibit the growth of the microbe causing the infection.
- Here are the signs of cervical cancer:
- Bleeding after intercourse.
- Bleeding after menopause.
- Bleeding between periods.
- Bleeding after douching.
- Bleeding following a pelvic exam.
- Having heavier menstrual periods than usual or ones that last longer than usual.
- Unusual vaginal discharge.
- Pain during sex.
- Examples of symptoms associated with cervical cancer include:
- abnormal bleeding, such as bleeding between menstrual periods, after sex, after a pelvic exam, or after menopause.
- discharge that's unusual in amount, color, consistency, or smell.
- having to go to urinate more frequently.
- pelvic pain.
- painful urination.
Updated: 3rd December 2019