How long can you keep canned tuna in the fridge?
To maximize the shelf life of canned tuna (or tuna sold in a vacuum-sealed pouch) after opening, refrigerate in a covered glass or plastic container. How long does opened canned tuna last in the refrigerator? Tuna that has been continuously refrigerated will keep for about 3 to 4 days.
Question: I have some canned tuna in my pantry. But from a safety perspective, you can consume it well beyond the “best by” date — in fact, unopened shelf-stable commercially canned foods will keep safe indefinitely (assuming they remain properly stored and undamaged), according to the USDA.
- Canned salmon is fully cooked and will keep for several years (The official expiration date is five years after the canning date).
- Canned Tuna or Salmon. Will stay fresh after opening for 1- 2 days in the refrigerator. Transfer opened canned fish to a sealed glass container or plastic bag. Will stay fresh after opening for 2 to 3 months in the pantry or 4 to 6 months in the refrigerator.
- Stored in the refrigerator at constant temperatures of 39 F and below, raw tuna remains fresh up to two days. Once cooked, the refrigeration time is extended to five days. Canned tuna, which is actually cooked before canning, also lasts four to five days after it's opened, whether mixed in a salad or by itself.
Typically this will be about 3 years. However, if the tuna can is stored in a dry pantry or shelf this can be increased by a few years. Of course you must make sure that the can has not been damaged or broken in any way and there are no air openings. See below for storage of canned tuna once opened.
- How long does opened canned chicken last in the refrigerator? Chicken that has been continuously refrigerated will keep for about 3 to 4 days.
- Question: I have some canned tuna in my pantry. But from a safety perspective, you can consume it well beyond the “best by” date — in fact, unopened shelf-stable commercially canned foods will keep safe indefinitely (assuming they remain properly stored and undamaged), according to the USDA.
- Properly stored, unopened canned tuna will generally stay at best quality for about 3 to 5 years, although it will usually remain safe to use after that. Is unopened canned tuna safe to use after the "expiration" date on the can or package?
Canned goods: Most expiration dates on foods in cans range from 1 to 4 years—but keep the food in a cool, dark place and the cans undented and in good condition, and you can likely safely double that shelf life from 3 to up to 6 years.
- Canned fruit, just like canned vegetables, can last for at least 1-2 years beyond any dates stamped on the can. The shelf life of canned fruit depends on a variety of factors, such as the best before date and at what temperature the can is stored.
- Eating food that has expired might not cause a serious illness such as food poisoning, but it might cause physical discomfort, such as an upset stomach that might or might not be accompanied by vomiting. Gas and bloating are additional symptoms that can occur if you eat expired food.
- Enlightened food banks will accept cans with expired dates – up to a point. Do not expect any food bank to take anything. Damaged and bulging cans will never be accepted. Others won't accept any food beyond the package date.
Updated: 26th September 2018