How is ROP treated?
With cryotherapy, physicians use an instrument that generates freezing temperatures to briefly touch spots on the surface of the eye that overlie the periphery of the retina. Both laser treatment and cryotherapy destroy the peripheral areas of the retina, slowing or reversing the abnormal growth of blood vessels.
Not all babies respond to treatment, though, and if the ROP continues to worsen it can cause such complications as:
- scarring and/or dragging of the retina.
- retinal detachment.
- bleeding inside the eye (vitreous hemorrhage)
- You also may notice distorted vision, reduced color vision and pain when you move your eyes. These types of symptoms may precede vision loss due to optic neuritis. Optic neuropathy more generally describes optic nerve abnormalities or damage, including from causes such as blocked blood flow or toxic exposure.
- With sufficient damage, sight is lost. Damage to the optic nerve is irreversible because the cable of nerve fibers doesn't have the capacity to regenerate, or heal itself, when damage occurs. This is why glaucoma is an incurable disease at this point, and why early detection is so important.
- In order to reduce high eye pressure, it is best to avoid foods that cause your insulin levels to rise. UMM suggests avoiding white breads, pastas, and sugar. The increase daily intake of these two nutrients that are commonly found in dark green leafy vegetables can significantly improve your eye health.
The first stage of ROP is a demarcation line that separates normal from premature retina. Stage 2 is a ridge which had height and width. Stage 3 is growth of fragile new abnormal blood vessels.
- Retinopathy of prematurity (ROP) The eye disease retinopathy of prematurity (ROP) develops when blood vessels grow abnormally in the eye. According to the National Eye Institute, ROP is most prevalent among babies born before 31 weeks or at a very low birth weight.
- Placement of an advertisement in a newspaper or magazine left to the discretion of the publisher. Its placement in a particular location or a specific page usually requires payment of a premium. In broadcast media, it is called run of schedule.
- Regional Occupational Program
List of medical abbreviations: R
|ROM||range of motion rupture of membranes|
|ROP||right occipital posterior (see childbirth) retinopathy of prematurity|
|ROS||review of systems|
|ROSC||return of spontaneous circulation|
- In the drilling industry, the rate of penetration (ROP), also known as penetration rate or drill rate, is the speed at which a drill bit breaks the rock under it to deepen the borehole. It is normally measured in feet per minute or meters per hour, but sometimes it is expressed in minutes per foot.
- The reorder point (ROP) is the level of inventory which triggers an action to replenish that particular inventory stock. It is a minimum amount of an item which a firm holds in stock, such that, when stock falls to this amount, the item must be reordered.
- Assessment purpose. A ROM assessment is most commonly used to measure movement of the ankles, knees, hips, shoulders, elbows, wrists and fingers. Measures are taken on consecutive occasions to assess any change over time. They are used to determine whether an individual's ROM is within the expected range.
Updated: 28th September 2018