How is forensic science used?
However, forensic science most commonly is used to investigate criminal cases involving a victim, such as assault, robbery, kidnapping, rape or murder. The medical examiner is the central figure in an investigation of crimes involving victims.
Gas Chromatography is used in airports to detect bombs and is used is forensics in many different ways. It is used to analyze fibers on a persons body and also analyze blood found at a crime scene. In gas chromatography helium is used to move a gaseous mixture through a column of absorbent material.
- Chromatography is a versatile separation technique widely used to obtain pure compounds from mixtures. All chromatographic techniques depend on a stationary phase, usually a finely divided solid or coated solid, that a mobile phase, usually a gas or liquid, moves through.
- Types of chromatography
- Column chromatography.
- Ion-exchange chromatography.
- Gel-permeation (molecular sieve) chromatography.
- Affinity chromatography.
- Paper chromatography.
- Thin-layer chromatography.
- Gas chromatography.
- Dye-ligand chromatography.
- Chromatography is used to separate mixtures of substances into their components. All forms of chromatography work on the same principle. They all have a stationary phase (a solid, or a liquid supported on a solid) and a mobile phase (a liquid or a gas).
Chromatography is a method used to separate mixtures. Police forensic scientists really do use chromatography to identify substances found at crime scenes. The black ink is actually made up of different colours.
- Mikhail Tsvet
- Chromatography is used for the separation of a mixture of compounds into its individual components. There are several ways to accomplish this but one thing that all chromatography shares in common is the use of a mobile phase and a stationary phase.
- Gas chromatography (GC) is a common type of chromatography used in analytical chemistry for separating and analyzing compounds that can be vaporized without decomposition. The gaseous compounds being analyzed interact with the walls of the column, which is coated with a stationary phase.
Updated: 28th November 2019