How is 1 mg L equal to 1 ppm?
mg/L = ppm. By definition, a Liter of water weighs 1 kg (1 kilogram or 1000 grams). Therefore 1 mg = 1/1,000,000 of a kg. So, based on what we have learned: 1 mg/L = 1 mg/kg = 1 mg/million mg = ppm.
as grams per 1,000 liters, which may be converted to mil- ligrams per liter (mg/L). Therefore, 1 g/m3 = 1 mg/L = 1 ppm. Likewise, one milligram per cubic meter (mg/m3) is the same concentration in water as one microgram per liter (ug/L), which is about 1 ppb.
- One microgram is one millionth of a gram and one thousandth of a milligram. It is usually abbreviated as mcg or ug. Mcg and ug are the same. IU. The IU is an International Unit, usually used to measure fat soluble vitamins including Vitamin A, D and E.
- Too much vitamin D can cause an abnormally high blood calcium level, which could result in nausea, constipation, confusion, abnormal heart rhythm, and even kidney stones. It's nearly impossible to get too much vitamin D from sunlight or from foods (unless you take way too much cod liver oil).
- Tell your doctor if you experience any of the following side effects:
- Kidney stones.
- Confusion or disorientation.
- Muscle weakness.
- Bone pain.
- Weight loss or poor appetite.
- Extreme thirst.
- Frequent urination.
- Nausea, vomiting, or constipation.
One liter (L) of pure water at 4ºC and 1 standard atmosphere pressure weighs exactly 1 kg, so 1 mg/L is 1 ppm. Another way to say it is a liter of water weighs 1,000 grams or 1 million mil- ligrams. Therefore, 1 mg in 1 liter is l mg in 1 million mil- ligrams or 1 part per million.
- Just as per cent means out of a hundred, so parts per million or ppm means out of a million. Usually describes the concentration of something in water or soil. One ppm is equivalent to 1 milligram of something per liter of water (mg/l) or 1 milligram of something per kilogram soil (mg/kg).
- PPM (Parts per million) is a measurement used today by many customers to measure quality performance. To calculate: For example, let's say you had 25 pieces defective in a shipment of 1,000 pieces. 25/1000= .025 or 2.5% defective. . 025 X 1,000,000 = 25,000 PPM.
- ppm is used to measure chemical concentration, usually in a solution of water. Solute concentration of 1 ppm is solute concentration of 1/1000000 of the solution. The concentration C in ppm is calculated from the solute mass msolute in milligrams and the solution mass msolution in milligrams .
Handy Metric Conversions
|1 pound (lb) = 453.6 grams (g)||1 mcg/lb = 2 mg/ton|
|1 kilogram (kg) = 2.2 lb = 1.000 g||1 mg/lb = 2 g/ton|
|1 g = 1,000 milligrams (mg)||1 mg/lb = 2.2 ppm|
|1 mg/kg = l part/million (ppm)||1 mg/lb = 2.2 ppm|
- Definition. µg/L. micrograms per liter. Copyright 1988-2018 AcronymFinder.com, All rights reserved.
- This is the same as grams per 1,000 liters, which may be converted to milligrams per liter (mg/L). Therefore, 1 g/ m3 = 1 mg/L = 1 ppm. Likewise, one milligram per cubic meter (mg/m3) is the same concentration in water as one microgram per liter (ug/L), which is about 1 ppb.
- µg is the correct symbol for the metric measurement microgram which is one millionth of a gram or one thousandth of a milligram. The symbol for µ is a Greek letter (mu) which means 'small'.
Updated: 17th October 2019