How high are the Seven Summits?
The Bass and Messner lists
|Mount Elbrus||✔||5,642 m (18,510 ft)|
|Mount Vinson||✔||4,892 m (16,050 ft)|
|Puncak Jaya||4,884 m (16,024 ft)|
|Mount Kosciuszko||✔||2,228 m (7,310 ft)|
The 7 Highest Points Across All 7 Continents
- Mount Everest, Asia. Getty ImagesPaula Bronstein.
- Aconcagua, South America. Getty ImagesUwe Steffens/ullstein bild.
- Denali, North America. Getty ImagesMike Powell.
- Mount Kilimanjaro, Africa. Getty ImagesMLADEN ANTONOV/AFP.
- Mount Elbrus, Europe.
- Vinson Massif, Antarctica.
- Mount Kosciuszko, Australia.
- What are the "Seven Summits?"
Continent Mountain Feet Asia Mt. Everest 29,035 South America Aconcagua 22,841 North America Denali 20,320 Africa Mt. Kilimanjaro 19,563
List of mountains in Australia by topographic prominence
|3||Mount Bartle Frere||QLD|
- Aoraki / Mount Cook
- Even though the average expedition will allow you 32 pounds of gear, it's daunting how much each pound seems to cost. An Everest climb starts at around $35,000 because mountain permits begin at $10,000 (the price varies based on the number in the expedition).
Here are the 7 Summits in height order:
- Asia: Everest (29,035'/8850m) 5/21/11.
- South America: Aconcagua (22,834'/6960m) 1/29/11.
- North America: Denali (20,310 feet 6,190 meters 7/17/11.
- Africa: Kilimanjaro (19,340'/5896m) 9/19/11.
- Europe: Elbrus (18,513'/5642m) 8/11/11.
- Oceania: Carstensz Pyramid (16,023'/4884m) 10/22/11.
- Mount Elbrus, the highest mountain in Europe, rises to 18,510 feet (5,642 meters). Mount Elbrus isn't technically a mountain — it is an inactive volcano located in the western Caucasus mountain range, near the Georgian border in Kabardino-Balkaria and Karachay–Cherkessia, Russia.
- Aerial view of Aconcagua mountain in the Andes. Mount Aconcagua is the highest mountain on the South American continent. Its summit is 22,834 feet (6,960 meters) above sea level. It is located in Argentina.
- The lowest exposed land on Earth is at the Dead Sea shore, at -413 meters. The deepest lake bottom in a below-sea-level depression also belongs to the Dead Sea at -750 meters. Lake Baikal in Russia is at an elevation of 447 meters, but with a maximum depth of 1637 meters, its bottom lies at -1190 meters.
Updated: 4th October 2018