How far apart do steps need to be?
This allows enough space for the average foot to step comfortably and safely.
- As a rule of thumb, the width of the treads and risers added together should equal between 16–18 inches (41–46 cm).
- So, if your riser is 7 inches (18 cm) tall, your tread should be anywhere from 9–11 inches (23–28 cm) long.
Stair Width: 36 Inches Minimum (Not Including Handrails) Translated: This means that any stairs must be at least 3 feet wide, measured from side to side as if you are walking up or down the stairs.
- To comply with the Regulations, the minimum going should be 220mm, whilst the pitch of the staircase should not exceed 42°. There are no restrictions when it comes to width, but standard flights measure 860mm, and for a main staircase it is agreed that a width of between 800mm and 900mm works best.
- It will yield a staircase with 14 risers. All staircases have one more riser than they do treads. This means you will have 13 treads for a total length of 130 inches or 10 feet 10 inches. You must also figure in a minimum three-foot landing or clear floor area at the bottom of the steps.
- All steps on a flight of stairs shall have uniform riser heights and uniform tread depth. Risers shall be 4 inches (100 mm) high minimum and 7 inches (180 mm) maximum. Treads shall be 11 inches (280 mm) deep minimum, measured from riser to riser.
The riser shall be measured vertically between leading edges of the adjacent treads. The greatest riser height within any flight of stairs shall not exceed the smallest by more than 3/8 inch (9.5 mm). R322.214.171.124 Tread depth. The minimum tread depth shall be 10 inches (254 mm).
- A man's average step length is approximately 31 inches and his average stride length is 62 inches. For walking programs, women are encouraged to use an average step length of 26 inches and men are encouraged to use an average step length of 30 inches.
- To get to your question - the code doesn't refer to the exterior in steps but states from finished floor or platform to finished grade in excess of 30" requires a guard rail. It's with interior they mention any stairway with more than 3 risers (2 steps) will require a handrail.
- (7) When the top edge of a stair rail system also serves as a handrail, the height of the top edge shall be not more than 37 inches (94 cm) nor less than 36 inches (91.5 cm) from the upper surface of the stair rail system to the surface of the tread, in line with the face of the riser at the forward edge of the tread.
Updated: 26th October 2019