A motor capacitor, such as a start capacitor or run capacitor (including a dual run capacitor) is an electrical capacitor that alters the current to one or more windings of a single phase AC induction motor to create a rotating magnetic field.
Thereof, how do I check a capacitor?
- Choose your tool. Even cheap digital multimeters often have a capacitance setting "–
- Shut off the power.
- Discharge the capacitor carefully.
- Disconnect the capacitor.
- Set the multimeter to measure capacitance.
- Activate REL mode if present.
- Connect the leads to the capacitor's terminals.
- Wait for the result.
How do you read a capacitor?
Method 2 Reading Compact Capacitor Codes
- Write down the first two digits of the capacitance.
- Use the third digit as a zero multiplier.
- Work out the capacitance units from context.
- Read codes that contain letters instead.
- Read the tolerance code on ceramic capacitors.
- Read letter-number-letter tolerance values.