How do you type a pound sign on an American keyboard?
Press and hold the ALT key and type the number 0163 to make a Pound symbol. Use unicode Pound symbol in a html document or copy paste the character.
Press the alt key to the right of the space bar ( alt gr ), and the key above the enter key (which should typically be hash on a US keyboard set to UK input - but on your laptop it is actually the key!). This should provide a backslash!
- Press the “Backslash” key, which is directly above or below the “Enter” or “Return” key on most keyboards. Repeat as required to enter multiple backslash characters.
- Press the alt key to the right of the space bar ( alt gr ), and the key above the enter key (which should typically be hash on a US keyboard set to UK input - but on your laptop it is actually the key!). This should provide a backslash!
- The backslash is used only for computer coding. The forward slash, often simply referred to as a slash, is a punctuation mark used in English. The only time it is appropriate to use a comma after a slash is when demonstrating breaks between lines of poetry, songs, or plays.
Press Alt with the appropriate letter. For example, to type € (euro symbol), press Alt + E ; to type £ (pound symbol), press Alt + L . Stop the mouse over each button to learn its keyboard shortcut. Alt + click a button to copy a single character to the clipboard.
- World Currency Symbols. This page lists global currency symbols used to denote that a number is a monetary value, such as the dollar sign "$", the Pound sign "£", and the Euro sign "€".
- Press and hold the ALT key and type the number 0128 to make a Euro symbol. Use unicode Euro symbol in a html document or copy paste the character.
- pound key. n. The pushbutton of a telephone, usually in the lower right corner on the dialing pad, that is marked with a pound sign (#).
The US layout, where the @ symbol shares the 2 key is the most popular place; sometimes its Shift + 2 but if that doesn't work try Alt + Shift + 2 or Alt Gr + 2 (Alt Gr key is to the right of the spacebar).
- Ensure that the Num Lock key has been pressed, to activate the numeric key section of the keyboard.
- Press the Alt key, and hold it down.
- While the Alt key is pressed, type the sequence of numbers (on the numeric keypad) from the Alt code in the above table.
- Release the Alt key, and the character will appear.
- Find Alt code. Numeric Alt codes for symbols are listed in Alt codes list.
- Enable Num Lk . You may need to simultaneously press ["FN" and " Scr Lk "] keys.
- Hold down "Alt" key. Some laptops require you to hold both "Alt" and "FN" keys.
- Input Alt code of symbol on Keypad.
- Release all the keys.
- The Option key is a modifier key (ALT) present on Apple keyboards. It is located between the Control key and Command key on a typical Mac keyboard. There are two option keys on modern Mac desktop and notebook keyboards, one on each side of the space bar.
Updated: 26th November 2019