How do you measure an inch with your finger?
* Use your own body for fast, approximate measuring. The first joint of an index finger is about 1 inch long. When a hand is spread wide, the span from the tip of the thumb to the tip of the pinkie is about 9 inches; from the tip of the thumb to the tip of the index finger, around 6 inches.
|Measure||Explanation||my personal calibration Your's will differ.|
|finger length||fingertip to knuckle||11 cm, 4 1/4 in|
|palm||width of 4 extended fingers (palmus) ("palm" is also know as "hand".)||7 cm, 2 3/4 in (at middle joint) 8 cm, 3 in (at knuckles)|
|hand length||hand length, heel to fingertip||19 cm, 7.5 in|
- As expected, the iPhone 6 is much larger than its predecessor (4.7 inches vs. 4 inches), and also a lot curvier, just like Apple's iPad Air. The iPhone 6 Plus is the same design as the 6, but with a 5.5-inch display. Curiously, neither device has a sapphire glass front.
- The iPhone 6 Plus packs a 5.5-inch display, but its true height is about 6.22 inches (158.1 mm), with the bezel around the screen making up for the additional space. It's also 3.06 inches (77.8 mm) wide. Its sibling, iPhone 6, has a 4.7-inch screen, but its actual height is 5.44 inches, and it's 2.64 inches wide.
- September 22, 2017
A metric ruler uses the metric system, which measures in centimeters instead of inches. There should be 30 centimeters on the ruler, which are designated by large numbers on the ruler. Between each centimeter (cm) mark, there should be 10 smaller marks called millimeters (mm).
- 12 inches
- So, there are four quarter inches in one whole inch. Quarter inches are used to measure things more specifically.
- To read a metric ruler, each individual line represents .10 (1/10) of a centimeter, or 1 millimeter. Notice when converting from centimeters to millimeters, the decimal point is moved one place to the right. To convert millimeters to centimeters, move the decimal point one place to the left. Look at the ruler below.
Use your feet and math. My foot is 10.5 inches, so if I walk heel-to-toe across and along the length of a room and take 20 and 24 steps respectively, then the math is Width = 20 steps x 10.5in = 210 inches/12 = 17.5 ft. Finally, you multiply 17.5 feet by 21 feet to arrive at a square footage of 367.5.
- Use your feet and math. My foot is 10.5 inches, so if I walk heel-to-toe across and along the length of a room and take 20 and 24 steps respectively, then the math is Width = 20 steps x 10.5in = 210 inches/12 = 17.5 ft. Finally, you multiply 17.5 feet by 21 feet to arrive at a square footage of 367.5.
- For instance, if the room is 12 feet wide and 12 feet long, the area of the floor is 144 square feet. Your result is the measurement of the total floor area. Record this number on your drawing. Measure the length and width of any square or rectangular recesses.
- The US one dollar bill is paper money worth one hundred US cents. One dollar is written $1.00. SIZE: US currency bills are are 2.61 inches wide and 6.14 inches long; they are .0043 inches thick and weigh 1 gram.
Updated: 25th November 2019