How do you find cubic?
Method 1 Calculating the Volume of a Box in Cubic Inches
- Measure the length, width, and depth of an object in inches.
- Write the length of your object.
- Multiply the length by the width of your object.
- Multiply your answer by the depth of your object.
- Label your answer in cubic inches.
The formula to find the volume multiplies the length by the width by the height. The good news for a cube is that the measure of each of these dimensions is exactly the same. Therefore, you can multiply the length of any side three times. This results in the formula: Volume = side * side * side.
- To find the area of a rectangle multiply its height by its width. For a square you only need to find the length of one of the sides (as each side is the same length) and then multiply this by itself to find the area.
- The most basic area formula is the formula for the area of a rectangle. A = lw (rectangle). That is, the area of the rectangle is the length multiplied by the width. As a special case, as l = w in the case of a square, the area of a square with side length s is given by the formula: A = s2 (square).
- Volume is measured in "cubic" units. Volume of a cube = side times side times side. Since each side of a square is the same, it can simply be the length of one side cubed. If a square has one side of 4 inches, the volume would be 4 inches times 4 inches times 4 inches, or 64 cubic inches.
Measure the width and write this number down. Multiply the three measurements. The answer is given in cubic meters. For example, if the height of your object was 12 meters, the length was 6 meters and the width was 2 meters, you would multiply 12 times 6 times 2 to get 144 cubic meters.
- Calculating cubic feet from inches. If you have measured the dimensions of your item in inches then do the following: Multiply your length, width and height figures together, giving you a total in cubic inches (in3) Divide the total by 1728 (as there are 1728 cubic inches in a cubic foot).
- Calculate Volume of a Cube. Calculate the volume of a square or rectangular cube using the formula V = l × w × h. Begin by multiplying length × width × height. So if your cube is 5 cm long, 3 cm wide and 2 cm tall, its volume is 5 × 3 × 2 = 30 cubic centimeters.
- Measure the width and write this number down. Multiply the three measurements. The answer is given in cubic meters. For example, if the height of your object was 12 meters, the length was 6 meters and the width was 2 meters, you would multiply 12 times 6 times 2 to get 144 cubic meters.
Cube numbers are formed by multiplying a digit by itself three times. Each cube number can be represented by a cube made up of unit cubes. Use your calculator to find the next six cube numbers (from 5 onwards) - then check your answer. 125 = 5 × 5 × 5, 216 = 6 × 6 × 6, etc.
- The result of using a whole number in a multiplication three times. Example: 3 × 3 × 3 = 27, so 27 is a cube number. Here are the first few cube numbers: 1 (=1×1×1)
- A cube number is a number that is the product of three numbers which are the same. In other words, if you multiply a number by itself and then by itself again, the result is a cube number. This diagram makes this concept clearer: Cube numbers can be represented visually as 3D cubes of single, unit cubes.
- A perfect cube is a number that is the cube of an integer. Some examples of perfect cubes are 1, 8, 27, 64, 125, 216, 343, .. The opposite of cubing a number is finding the cube root.
Updated: 25th November 2019