How do you change the horizontal axis in Excel?
Click on the "Layout" tab at the top of the Excel window, then click the drop-down arrow on the left side of the ribbon and choose "Horizontal (Category) Axis" from the list of options. Click the "Format Selection" button next to the drop-down arrow to continue. The Format Axis window appears.
- In a chart, click the value axis that you want to change, or do the following to select the axis from a list of chart elements:
- On the Format tab, in the Current Selection group, click Format Selection.
- In the Format Axis dialog box, click Axis Options, and then do one or more of the following:
- Actually we can change the X axis labels' position in a chart in Excel easily. And you can do as follows: 1. Right click the X axis in the chart, and select the Format Axis from the right-clicking menu.
- A line parallel to the x-axis is called a horizontal line. The graph of a relation of the form x = 5 is a line parallel to the y-axis because the x value never changes.
- Remove a trendline
- Click anywhere in the chart. This displays the Chart Tools, adding the Design, Layout, and Format tabs.
- On the Format tab, in the Current Selection group, click the arrow next to the Chart Elements box, and then click the chart element that you want.
Add axis titles manually
- Click anywhere in the chart to which you want to add axis titles.
- On the Layout tab, in the Labels group, click Axis Titles.
- Do any of the following:
- In the Axis Title text box that appears in the chart, type the text that you want.
- To format the text in the title box, do the following:
- Add data labels to a chart
- Click the data series or chart.
- In the upper right corner, next to the chart, click Add Chart Element > Data Labels.
- To change the location, click the arrow, and choose an option.
- If you want to show your data label inside a text bubble shape, click Data Callout.
- Follow these steps to add horizontal and vertical axis titles to the chart by linking to text in the worksheet:
- Click on your chart.
- Click the Layout tab under Chart Tools.
- Click Axis Titles in the Labels group.
- Point to Primary Horizontal Axis Title and select Title Below Axis.
- When presented with your graph, other people should be able to figure out what is plotted without asking you. Titles of graphs are usually "Y versus X"; so in this case, our title is "Position versus Time." (NOT position divided by time, or position minus time.) Labels on the axes must have units!
Updated: 2nd October 2019