How do you bake a sweet potato in foil?
Wash 6 sweet potatoes, and remove any blemishes or dark spots; wrap each potato in aluminum foil. Bake, folded side of foil up, at 350° for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until a fork easily presses into the center. If desired, serve with butter, pepper, and salt.
- Preheat oven to 425º. On a baking sheet, prick sweet potatoes all over with a fork.
- Bake until tender, 45 to 50 minutes.
- Let cool, then split the tops open with a knife and top with a pat of butter.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.
- A: The same amount of white potatoes and sweet potatoes contain about the same amount of carbohydrates (1/2 cup = 15 grams of carbs). Sweet potatoes, however, have more fiber and are slightly lower on the glycemic index than white potatoes.
- Sweet potatoes also contain high amounts of fiber and potassium. They have more grams of natural sugars than regular potato but more overall nutrients with fewer calories. Sweet potatoes may help maintain a healthy blood pressure and protect against cancer.
- To prepare baked sweet potatoes in your microwave: Prick the potatoes all over with a fork. Microwave on high for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender, turning the potatoes once.
Don't preheat the oven. Prick your sweet potatoes each 2-3 time with a fork, then place them directly on the oven rack in the middle of the oven, above the rack with the foil. Turn the oven on to 425. Bake for 45 minutes for sweet potatoes/yams that are 2-3 inches in diameter.
- Wash 6 sweet potatoes, and remove any blemishes or dark spots; wrap each potato in aluminum foil. Bake, folded side of foil up, at 350° for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until a fork easily presses into the center. If desired, serve with butter, pepper, and salt.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
- With an electric mixer on low, blend potatoes, slowly adding milk, about 1/2 a cup at a time. Use more or less to achieve desired texture. Add butter and maple syrup to taste. Blend until smooth. Serve warm.
- Heat oven to 400° F. Pierce each sweet potato several times with the tines of a fork. Place the sweet potatoes on a rimmed baking sheet lined with foil. Bake until tender, about 45 minutes. Make a slit in the top of each sweet potato.
Pierce the sweet potato skin 5-6 times. Place on a microwaveable plate and microwave for 5-8 minutes, rotating halfway through.
- Place the sweet potato chunks into a large mixing bowl. Drizzle with the olive oil, then sprinkle the brown sugar, paprika, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, poultry seasoning, chili powder, and cayenne pepper overtop. Toss until the potatoes are evenly coated with the seasoning. Spread onto a baking sheet.
- Although not a perfect test, your senses are usually the most reliable instruments to tell if your sweet potatoes have gone bad. Some common traits of bad sweet potatoes are discoloration and growths through the skin. They will begin to get soft and wet (water will leak out) and then turn brown and/or black.
- Wondering how long to boil sweet potatoes? Cover the pan and cook sweet potatoes for 10 to 12 minutes or until just tender on the outside but resistant in the center when pierced with a knife. For soft, tender sweet potatoes, cook for 25 to 30 minutes.
Updated: 12th November 2019