How do you approach a difficult problem?
Here are seven-steps for an effective problem-solving process.
- Identify the issues. Be clear about what the problem is.
- Understand everyone's interests.
- List the possible solutions (options)
- Evaluate the options.
- Select an option or options.
- Document the agreement(s).
- Agree on contingencies, monitoring, and evaluation.
You Will Learn How To
- Make better decisions through critical thinking and creative problem solving.
- Develop your personal creativity.
- Select the best decision given the specific situation.
- Apply processes to assess work issues and problems.
- Transform your creativity into practical business solutions.
- Creative thinking tries to create something new, while critical thinking seeks to assess worth or validity of something that already exists. Creative thinking is divergent, while critical thinking is convergent. Creative thinking is focused on possibilities, while critical thinking is focused on probability.
- Here are six ways to stimulate creative thinking.
- Consume content that's way outside your comfort zone.
- Write a 500 word article with no topic whatsoever.
- Go see a movie in a movie theater.
- Take a phone call with someone you don't know.
- Eat differently.
- Do the "No Bad Ideas Brainstorming" exercise.
- Use these ten creative tips to increase your problem-solving skills, develop more strategic ways of thinking, and train your brain to do more.
- Dance Your Heart Out.
- Work out Your Brain with Logic Puzzles or Games.
- Get a Good Night's Sleep.
- Work out to Some Tunes.
- Keep an “Idea Journal” with You.
- Participate in Yoga.
Concrete creativity supporting techniques, including also computer-based support tools (artificial intelligence models, computer software idea processors, information systems, etc.), are developed to promote and generate creativity, to break fixed ideas, to stimulate imagination, as well as to define the conditions in
- Concrete creativity supporting techniques, including also computer-based support tools (artificial intelligence models, computer software idea processors, information systems, etc.), are developed to promote and generate creativity, to break fixed ideas, to stimulate imagination, as well as to define the conditions in
- The purpose of project management is to foresee or predict as many dangers and problems as possible; and to plan, organise and control activities so that the project is completed as successfully as possible in spite of all the risks.
- Here are some good rules to follow:
- Write actions out in the order in which they happen.
- Avoid too many words.
- Use the active voice.
- Use lists and bullets.
- Don't be too brief, or you may give up clarity.
- Explain your assumptions, and make sure your assumptions are valid.
- Use jargon and slang carefully.
The most successful executives are inspiring leaders, smart strategists—and creative thinkers. Across every business function, creativity is central to solving complex problems, developing new strategies, facilitating innovation, and driving change within the organization.
- The process of working through details of a problem to reach a solution. Problem solving may include mathematical or systematic operations and can be a gauge of an individual's critical thinking skills.
- In problem solving, there are four basic steps.
- Define the problem. Diagnose the situation so that your focus is on the problem, not just its symptoms.
- Generate alternative solutions.
- Evaluate and select an alternative.
- Implement and follow up on the solution.
- Step One: Define the Problem: “What is the problem?” •
- Step Two: Identify the Causes of the Problem: “Why is this happening?” •
- Step Three: Brainstorm Possible Solutions. •
- Step Four: Select the Best Solutions. •
- Step Five: Implement the Plan. •
- Step Six: Follow-Up, Evaluate, and Monitor Progress. •
Updated: 28th November 2019