How do I unlock the screen rotation on my iPad?
Lock / Unlock Screen Portrait Orientation Mode - Apple® iPad® This helps if you can't get the screen/display on your device to flip or rotate. Access the Control Center by touching the bottom of any screen then dragging upward. Tap the Portrait Orientation icon to lock or unlock screen portrait orientation.
Your iPad's side switch can serve as a mute or rotation lock. You get to choose. Now when you double-tap the home button and swipe to show the iTunes controls the Rotate button will be gone and in its place you'll see a Mute button. To lock your screen orientation, just slide your iPad's side switch.
- On the Settings screen, tap General on the left side, and on the right side of the screen flick down to “Use Side Switch to.” Tap to select Lock Rotation or Mute to set the button's function. Even if you set the side switch for your preferred use, you can still mute the Mini or lock the screen.
- How to Change the iPad Side Switch Action
- Open the Settings app to see the iPad's settings.
- Tap General in the menu on the left side of the screen.
- Go to the section labeled Use Side Switch To and tap either Lock Rotation or Mute to place a check next to the function you want to use with the side switch.
- Make a phone call using your iPhone's Phone app. An on-screen display appears with in-call options. Tap the "Mute" icon -- a microphone icon with a diagonal line through it -- until the background on the button fills in, showing that you've muted your line.
Double-click the Home button to display recently used apps. Flick from left to right along the bottom of the screen. Tap the Screen Rotation Lock button on the bottom left of the screen. If the button used to show a padlock, the padlock will disappear from the button after tapping it.
- When this setting is enabled, the screen automatically rotates when you move your phone between portrait mode and landscape mode. To enable or disable this setting, follow these steps: Go to Settings > Accessibility. Select Auto-rotate screen.
- To access Control Center, swipe up on your Home screen, then tap the padlock icon to enable Rotation Lock. UPDATE: iOS 4.3 adds a Settings option to turn the mute button back into a rotation lock switch. UPDATE: Apple has changed the rotation lock switch into a mute button with the iOS 4.2.1 update.
- Access the Control Center by touching the bottom of any screen then dragging upward. For the iPhone X, swipe downward from the upper-right corner of the Home or Lock screen to access Control Center.
- Tap the Portrait Orientation icon to lock or unlock screen portrait orientation.
Updated: 4th November 2019