How do I make a copy of a DVD on my laptop?
Insert the DVD in the CDDVD drive. 2. Open computer, click on DVD drive, and Select the files you want to copy. To select all files, press Ctrl and A keys together, to select files randomly press Ctrl and left mouse click on the file.
In the computer window, double click the CD-ROM drive item to open it. If the file or folder that you want is stored within another folder, double click the folder or a series of folders, until you locate it. When you find the file you want, click it to select it. Then press Ctrl + C on your keyboard to copy it.
- Insert a blank, writable CD (CD-/+RW recommended) into the CD recorder. Click the files or folders you want to copy to the CD. To select more than one file, hold down the CTRL key while you click the files you want. Then, under File and Folder Tasks, click Copy this file, Copy this folder, or Copy the selected items.
- You can fit about 74 minutes of music on a 650 MB audio CD, or about 150 MP3 files on the same size disc. Some CDs can contain 700 MB of music. A DVD can hold 4.7 gigabytes (GB), almost five times as many songs as a CD.
- DVDs can be manufactured with either one or two data layers. Single-layer discs hold 4.7GB, and are also known as DVD-5s. Double-layer discs hold 8.5GB, and are thus called DVD-9s.
Method 1 Putting a Video on a DVD Using Windows
- Get a blank DVD.
- Put the blank DVD on your computer's CD/DVD drive.
- Select to “Burn” files.
- Type in any name you want for the DVD on the text field provided.
- Go to the folder on your computer where the video you want to copy to a DVD is located.
- If the MP4 is not on either a video CD or DVD, even if you have successfully burn MP4 to DVD without converting, you will still encounter issues in playing MP4 on DVD player: Regular standalone DVD players can only read movie DVD's (those are in MPEG-2, and if you view them in Windows Explorer, you see a folder
- DVD blank disc. DVD+R and DVD-R (writable DVD blanks) cost between $0.20 - $1.00 per disc or with a spindle like that shown in the picture on this page with 50 discs around $10.00 to $15.00.
- Video files such as .avi, .mpg, .wmv, can be burned directly to CD or DVD. Generally these types of files are used to play video on your PC, but some modern video players can play these file formats directly. To burn a video file, click on the "Video File" tab and use the Browse button to locate the file/s to burn.
Updated: 6th October 2019