How do I get mildew out of clothes?
Method 1 Washing Towels, Clothing, and Linens
- Dissolve 2 cups (408 grams) of borax in 2 quarts (2 liters) of warm or hot water.
- Add your mildew-stained fabric into the solution and let it soak for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Gently brush your normal detergent into the fabric.
- Wash on the highest setting allowed for your fabric.
To remove mildew from upholstery and other fabrics, soak a sponge in a solution of 1/2 cup borax dissolved in 2 cups hot water, and rub it into the affected areas. Let it soak in for several hours until the stain disappears, then rinse well.
- Rid your home of mold and mildew stains with Home Armor Instant Mold and Mildew Stain Remover. Its powerful bleach-based formula penetrates and removes mold and mildew stains, allowing you to clean without scrubbing. Simply spray on, wait 10 minutes, rinse off and you have instant results.
- Juice: Dried red berry juice may be removed from bleach-safe garments by soaking it in a solution of 1/3 vinegar and 2/3 water. Then wash as usual. Mildew: A mixture of salt, vinegar, and water should remove mildew stains on most fabrics. Use up to full-strength vinegar if mildew is extensive.
- Let your clothes soak in a solution of one cup of white vinegar in a bucket of water for about an hour. After soaking, wash the clothes with laundry detergent in your washing machine to wash away the mold and vinegar.
Updated: 2nd October 2019