How do I get Google home to play music?
Set your default music service on Google Home
- Open the Google Home app .
- In the top left corner of the Home screen, tap Menu .
- Verify that the Google Account that is listed is the one linked to Google Home.
- Make sure your mobile phone or tablet is on the same Wi-Fi network as Google Home.
- Tap Music .
You can make Spotify the default player on your Google home so you don't have to specify “on Spotify”. Google Home gives you the option to do this when you ask it to play music, simply say “yes” to agree. You can also make Spotify the default player manually: In the Google Home app, tap the menu in the top-left corner.
- Open the Google Play Music app .
- Move to the Settings row.
- Select Subscribe Get started.
- Choose a payment method. You can add a new payment method using your mobile device or computer.
- On your Android TV, follow the on-screen instructions.
- Press and hold the microphone mute on the back of Google Home for about 15 seconds. You'll hear your Google Assistant confirm that it's resetting Google Home. Note: You can't use your voice or the Google Home app to Factory Data Reset (FDR) Google Home.
- There is no dedicated reset button on the device, and its action overflow button doesn't include a Factory Reset option. Instead, to reset the Google Home to its factory settings, press and hold the Microphone On/Off button on the rear of the speaker for approximately 15 seconds.
This means you can use your voice to control Spotify on any Google Assistant-supported device. Before, Spotify voice commands were only available on Google Home, but now the same functions translate to Google Assistant on your phone.
- You can also make Spotify the default player manually:
- In the Google Home app, tap the menu in the top-left corner.
- Tap Music.
- Select Spotify to set it as the default music player for your Google home.
- To set up the Google Home voice-activated speaker with Netflix:
- Launch the Google Home app.
- Select the Menu icon .
- Under Google Assistant, select More settings.
- Select Videos and Photos.
- Locate Netflix and tap the Link icon to link your Google account to your Netflix app.
- Under "Services," tap TVs and Speakers . You'll see a list of linked devices. To link a new Chromecast or TV with Chromecast built-in, tap add in the bottom right corner of the screen. The Google Home app will search for remote devices on the same Wi-Fi network as your Google Home.
Updated: 22nd October 2018