How do I cook Chinese egg noodles?
Cook the noodles for one minute, then rinse and drain under cold water. You want them a bit undercooked, as they will be cooked again in a stir-fry or soup. To prepare dry noodles, bring a large pot of water to a full boil. Cook noodles for 3-4 minutes, until flexible but al dente.
I suppose you are talking about Instant Ramen Noodles which come with Oriental flavoring. They are usually high on Sodium and MSG with a few decent ingredients in it like dried lime crystals, garlic powder, onion powder or dried green onion flakes, etc. Make your own Oriental flavor seasoning.
- To be 100% clear: The ramen noodles themselves are vegetarian, but the little seasoning packets are usually not. The one major exception to this rule is Top Ramen brand Oriental flavor, which contains no animal ingredients at all, including in the flavoring packet and is both vegetarian and vegan.
- Chicken Flavor.
- Chicken Mushroom Flavor.
- Creamy Chicken Flavor.
- Roast Chicken Flavor.
- Picante Chicken Flavor.
- Beef Flavor.
- Ramen Sriracha Chicken Flavor.
- Picante Beef Flavor.
- A court in India has lifted a government ban on Nestle's popular Maggi noodles, but ordered fresh tests before the product can go back on sale. Nestle had challenged the ban ordered by the country's food safety regulator in June after some tests found lead levels beyond statutory limits.
Westernized Chinese wheat noodles sometimes called "Chinese spaghetti." These were developed the United States (some claim in New Orleans) by Cantonese immigrants as a good noodle for soups. The machine-made wheat and egg noodles are fat and dense, similar to lo mein, only thicker and chewier.
- Rice sticks are known as banh pho in Vietnam and jantaboon in Thailand. Substitute: vermicelli, linguine, or fettuccine (depending on size of rice noodle called for). Made with wheat flour and water, these noodles are round or flat and come in varying thicknesses. The flat, wide noodles are called chow fun.
- Yaka Mien. Westernized Chinese wheat noodles sometimes called "Chinese spaghetti." These were developed the United States (some claim in New Orleans) by Cantonese immigrants as a good noodle for soups. The machine-made wheat and egg noodles are fat and dense, similar to lo mein, only thicker and chewier.
- Udon (??, usually written as ???) is a type of thick wheat flour noodle, used frequently in Japanese cuisine. Udon is often served hot as a noodle soup in its simplest form, as kake udon, in a mildly flavoured broth called kakejiru, which is made of dashi, soy sauce, and mirin.
Updated: 2nd October 2019