How do fabric softeners work?
A fabric softener is a liquid composition added to washing machines during the rinse cycle to make clothes feel better to the touch. These products work by depositing lubricating chemicals on the fabric that make it feel softer, reduce static cling, and impart a fresh fragrance.
Both fabric softeners and dryer sheets help eliminate static and wrinkles while making clothes feel softer and smell better. However, they work in different ways. If you are not using a dispenser or a softener ball, make sure to add liquid softener during the final rinse when the tub is full of water to avoid staining.
- Using fabric softener is a great way to keep towels soft! Fabric softeners can reduce the absorbency of towels; so in order to keep them fluffy and absorbent at the same time, use in every other wash.
- And this static charge causes your clothes to cling together. Pourdeyhimi says dryer sheets contain positively-charged ingredients that are released by the heat and tumbling motion of the dryer. These ingredients bond loosely to any negatively-charged fabric surfaces—neutralizing the charge and acting as a lubricant.
- Of course it's okay to dry your clothes without a dryer sheet. I never use dryer sheets, because they have something on them that irritates my skin, even the ones that are fragrance-free. Liquid fabric softener, used in the rinse cycle of the wash, can be used instead. You could use one or the other, but not both.
Manually: If you're adding fabric conditioner by hand, be sure not to add it during the wash cycle. The wash cycle will clean away much of the softener, so add it during the rinse cycle. Also, try to avoid direct contact with fabrics to avoid stains; instead, pour Downy into the deeper pockets of water.
- Unstopables In-Wash Scent Boosters can be used on all colors and fabrics, and in all loads. Simply shake a little (or a lot) into the specially designed measuring cap. Then, toss the beads into the washer* at the beginning of the load, before you start the wash and before you drop in your clothes.
- Using fabric conditioner is so quick and easy, and in most cases you can simply add it to your washing machine and leave the machine to do all the hard work for you. Pop the softener into the detergent drawer before beginning your wash cycle, at the same time as you add your detergent.
- Fabric softeners are formulated to do just what they say—soften and freshen fabric. Downy fabric softener, or fabric conditioner, will soften your clothes, too. But Downy is formulated to help prevent fading, pilling and stretching, and protect the clothes you love.
Updated: 18th September 2018