How did the cold war affect society?
As Cold War progressed until the collapse of the Soviet Union, Cold War had significant impact on American society. Firstly, Cold War instigated strong anti-communism within the USA. The hatred towards Communism was so great that it eventually led to McCarthyism. This fear of war was instigated by the arms race.
The end of the Cold War. When Mikhail Gorbachev assumed the reins of power in the Soviet Union in 1985, no one predicted the revolution he would bring. A dedicated reformer, Gorbachev introduced the policies of glasnost and perestroika to the USSR.
- Ronald Reagan never claimed to have bested the Soviet Union and won the Cold War. Indeed, the very idea that there was a winner of the decades-long rivalry between the superpowers was a political formulation rather than one based on the historical facts.
- On this day in history, three U.S. presidents in three different years take significant steps toward ending the Cold War. Beginning on May 28, 1988, President Ronald Reagan met Soviet General Secretary Mikhail Gorbachev for a four-day summit in Russia.
- The Cold War was a state of geopolitical tension after World War II between powers in the Eastern Bloc (the Soviet Union and its satellite states) and powers in the Western Bloc (the United States, its NATO allies and others).
The main antagonists in the Cold War were the United States and the Soviet Union. However, the Cold War ended up affecting practically every country in the world in some way. Some countries were affected by having wars erupt within them. The three biggest examples of this were Vietnam, Korea, and Afghanistan.
- The Cold War was an important influence on almost all aspects of American society. Cultural antagonism between the United States and Soviet Union had both positive and negative repercussions. Mutual fear between the two countries led to political confrontations; some of which nearly led to world war.
- In early 1989, Gorbachev announced a military budget of 77.3 billion rubles, but Western authorities estimated the budget to be about twice that. With the end of the Cold War, the combined military expenditure of Russia and other successor states of the USSR fell dramatically.
- Transcript of Cold War Causes And Effects. they were struggling against Communism. CAUSE #1 EFFECTS & Effect #4 Western Europe nations and the United States get together and form the NATO, while the satellite states and the Soviet Union get together and make the Warsaw Pact.
Updated: 2nd October 2019