The tradition of bobbing for apples dates back to the Roman invasion of Britain, when the conquering army merged their own celebrations with traditional Celtic festivals. The Romans brought with them the apple tree, a representation of the goddess of plenty, Pomona.
Beside this, what do you need for apple bobbing?
Method 1 Playing the Classic Game
- Find a suitable tub.
- Fill the tub with cool water.
- Float several apples in the water.
- Select the order of players.
- Catch an apple with your teeth.
- Keep your hands behind your back while bobbing.
- Keep track of how long it takes each player to get their apple.
- Select the winner.