How cold does it get in Flagstaff?
Days of Cold Temperatures. Even on warmest days of the year, Flagstaff's minimum temperatures almost always go below 60°F. During all months but July and August, the daily lows can drop to freezing. Really cold temperatures occur on an average of four days during winter, when the day's low registers 0 °F or less.
The elevation of the Colorado River, at the bottom of the Canyon, averages out to around 2,200 feet (670 meters). The average elevation of the south rim is around 6,800 feet (2,072 meters) with the highest spot, Grandview Point, being 7,400 feet (2,255 meters).
- Situated at the far eastern end of the South Rim, 27 miles (43 km) from Grand Canyon Village, the tower stands 70 feet (21 m) tall. The top of the tower is 7,522 feet (2,293 m) above sea level, the highest point on the South Rim.
- The Grand Canyon is indeed a very big hole in the ground. It is 277 miles (446 km) long, up to 18 miles (29 km) wide and more than a mile (6,000 feet / 1,800 meters) deep. It is the result of constant erosion by the Colorado River over millions of years.
- The highest points at the Grand Canyon are found at Point Imperial on the North Rim, which is 8,803 feet high, and Navajo Point on the South Rim, which is 7,498 feet high. Compare this to the elevation of the lowest point at Phantom Ranch on the bottom of the canyon floor, which is 2,400 feet high.
San Francisco Mountains. Coconino National Forest with mountain range of San Francisco Peaks. This is a volcanic mountain range, located just north of Flagstaff, AZ. Known locally as "The Peaks," this range is home to Arizona's tallest mountain, Humphrey's Peak, which towers 12,633 feet.
- Its United States Post Office is located at the highest elevation of any in the country. Alma, which is a town, did not take the title as highest incorporated city from Leadville, Colorado, as is commonly believed. Leadville is still the highest incorporated city in North America.
- The name didn't stick, because they left the area quickly in search of the Grand Canyon and other gold. In 1629, Franciscan Friars who were conducting missionary work with Natives of the area named the mountain “San Francisco Peak” in honor of Patron Saint Francis of Assisi.
- Snowfall is 82 inches. The average US city gets 26 inches of snow per year. The number of days with any measurable precipitation is 47. On average, there are 266 sunny days per year in Flagstaff, Arizona.
- The highest point in Arizona is Humphreys Peak, northwest of Flagstaff, at 12,633 feet above sea level. The lowest point in Arizona is the Colorado River, only 70 feet above sea level.
- 20,310 feet
- 13,167 feet
Updated: 3rd October 2019