Do you need BLS and ACLS?
You need to keep both updated. If you do not have a current BLS certification (within the past two years) you will not be allowed to sit for ACLS again. BLS is a small part of ACLS.
While BLS is often required for medical professionals, BLS / CPR courses are commonly completed by teachers, coaches, lifeguards, babysitters, and more. Conversely, ACLS is designed specifically for healthcare professionals. This includes physicians, nurses, anesthesiologists, paramedics, dentists and more.
- Learning basic life support certification -- what the general public calls CPR, or cardiopulmonary resuscitation -- is a normal requirement for most nursing jobs. But more units now require nurses to also become certified in advanced cardiovascular life support, or ACLS.
- For instance, nurses working in the emergency department, intensive care unit and cardiac care units should be ACLS trained. PALS: Pediatric advanced life support is similar to ACLS, but it involves the treatment of pediatric patients.
- Advanced trauma life support (ATLS) is a training program for medical providers in the management of acute trauma cases, developed by the American College of Surgeons. Its goal is to teach a simplified and standardized approach to trauma patients.
Designed for healthcare professionals who either direct or participate in the management of cardiopulmonary arrest or other cardiovascular emergencies.
- You need to keep both updated. If you do not have a current BLS certification (within the past two years) you will not be allowed to sit for ACLS again. BLS is a small part of ACLS.
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) is an essential aspect of emergency medical treatment. Most healthcare providers are required to get their ACLS Certification or Recertification to ensure they are capable of handling various emergency situations.
- Our physicians are not required to hold ACLS certification. They are required to hold BLS as part of the initial appointment and reappointment to medical staff. They agree to go by the bylaws of the practice or they do not get privileges. All physicians & nurses that practice at our ASCs have CPR & ACLS.
ACLS Certification is required by health care providers working in acute care settings and also by providers of emergency services. The majority of hospitals and emergency services within the United States require that this certification be obtained through the American Heart Association (AHA).
- Online Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) courses have become an increasingly popular alternative for many healthcare professionals everywhere. As a result, if you are required to have an AHA ACLS Certification, you will unfortunately not be able to utilize a 100% online ACLS Certification course.
- Advanced Life Support (ALS) is a set of life-saving protocols and skills that extend Basic Life Support to further support the circulation and provide an open airway and adequate ventilation (breathing).
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) is a classroom, video-based, Instructor-led course that uses a series of simulated pediatric emergencies to reinforce the important concepts of a systematic approach to pediatric assessment, basic life support, PALS treatment algorithms, effective resuscitation and team dynamics.
Updated: 17th October 2019