Do you bake chicken in the oven covered or uncovered?
When baking chicken, cover the chicken with aluminum foil for the first 30 minutes of cooking to prevent dryness and overcooking. Uncover the chicken during the last 10 to 15 minutes to brown it. Bake cut chicken or boneless chicken breasts that would dry out if roasted.
Bake until the chicken is 165°F: Transfer the chicken to the oven until the chicken is completely opaque all the way through and registers 165°F on an instant-read thermometer. Start checking after 20 minutes; total cooking time is usually 30 to 40 minutes.
- Step 3: Bake chicken breasts. Bake chicken breasts, uncovered, for 18 to 20 minutes or until no longer pink (use a meat thermometer to confirm that the chicken is heated through to 170 degrees F). To store: Let chicken stand for 30 minutes to cool.
- Place chicken, breast side up, on a broiler pan (or on a rack inside another pan) coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400 degrees for one hour or until meat thermometer inserted into thigh registers 180 degrees. Cover loosely with foil for about 10 minutes. Remove vegetables from inside chicken and throw them away.
- Turn chicken breasts in sauce to coat thoroughly. Place skin side up in a shallow baking dish. Cover. Roast at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C), basting occasionally with pan drippings, for about 35 to 45 minutes.
Bake on a baking sheet until cooked through, 35-40 minutes. Check out 9 totally different creative toppers for baked chicken breast! To bake bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs, preheat your oven to 400°F and roast to an internal temperature of 165°F, about 35-40 minutes.
- If you don't have a meat thermometer, here are a few general guidelines for cooking chicken breast.
- On the grill: Approximately 6 to 8 minutes per side over direct heat, 10 to 12 minutes per side over indirect heat.
- In the oven: Approximately 20 to 30 minutes when baking or roasting at 375 degrees F.
- Cooking tips
- Thaw frozen chicken slowly in your refrigerator, or thaw it faster by putting it in a leak-proof package or plastic bag and submerging in cold tap water.
- Bake a 4-oz. chicken breast at 350°F (177˚C) for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Use a meat thermometer to check that the internal temperature is 165˚F (74˚C).
- Shown below is a shot of the chicken breast in a baking pan with all the seasonings – thyme, basil and oregano, along with salt and pepper. We prefer range-free chicken because it is healthier than chicken raised conventionally. Preheat oven to 425°. Place in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes.
Updated: 7th December 2019