Similarly, when should solid foods be introduced to a baby?
What is the first food to start baby on?
- Breast milk or formula, PLUS.
- Pureed or strained fruits (banana, pears, applesauce, peaches, avocado)
- Pureed or strained vegetables (well-cooked carrots, squash, sweet potato)
- Pureed meat (chicken, pork, beef)
- Pureed tofu.
- Small amounts of unsweetened yogurt (no cow's milk until age 1)
How do you know if your baby is ready for solids?
- Head control.
- Sitting well when supported.
- Significant weight gain.
- Interest in food and watching others eating.
- Ability to let you know when full.
- Growing appetite.
- Understand the dynamics of their mouth, lips and tongue.
- Loss of the tongue-thrust reflex.