Do any antidepressants help you lose weight?
However, like any other medication, antidepressant does produce side effects that sometimes manifest in the form of weight loss. Bupropion sold under the brand name Wellbutrin may help to reduce weight. This lack of appetite associated with bupropion reduces calorie intake, crucial to lose weight.
In fact, Meridia, a weight-loss drug, is an SNRI. Another SNRI, Effexor, has no weight-loss properties, but it is an antidepressant. This shows that tiny changes in chemical structure can have big effects on the brain.” Fernstrom also adds that Prozac, Celexa, and Lexapro do not cause weight gain.
- Common side effects of Trintellix include:
- dry mouth.
- abnormal dreams.
- People are often concerned about weight gain as a side effect of antidepressant drugs, particularly selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). Celexa is a type of SSRI. The truth is, Celexa could cause you to have a small gain or a small loss in body weight, or it could cause no weight change at all.
- Yes, Paxil can cause weight gain, as can other SSRI antidepressant medications. In its class, Paxil causes the most weight gain perhaps because it can be sedating, which tends to limit physical activity. In some cases, antidepressants can cause an increase in appetite, due to the effect on the brain's appetite center.
Although abusing CNS depressants can cause people to lose weight, stimulants are the drugs generally abused to make people skinny. Central nervous system stimulants include substances such as cocaine, “study” drugs such as Adderall and Ritalin, methamphetamine and ecstasy.
- With the CONTRAVE Savings Card, you can save on your CONTRAVE prescription. Patients paying cash, or those with insurance that does not cover CONTRAVE, may pay less than $4 a day for a monthly prescription. Patients with private insurance that covers CONTRAVE may pay less than $2 a day.
- Well, antibiotics generally kill off many healthy gut bacteria and allow an overgrowth of bacteria that cause us to gain weight. Bad gut bacteria produce chemical compounds (like propionic acid) that induce cravings, hunger, and inflammation. Additionally, inflammation will decrease your calorie burn rate all day long.
- Because Contrave is not a controlled substance like Belviq and Qsymia, doctors will be allowed to provide samples to patients straight from their office. Perhaps most important, Contrave was finally accepted by the FDA because of improved safety data, which revealed very few side effects.
Updated: 17th October 2019