Can you use DC Wire for AC?
Stranded wire is good for both. However the single strand wire works better with DC and is rarely used with AC due to the skin effect of AC current. Stranded wires do not get affected by this phenomenon because of their high surface area and low ccross-sectional area.
A DC connector (or DC plug, for one common type of connector) is an electrical connector for supplying direct current (DC) power. Compared to domestic AC power plugs and sockets, DC connectors have many more standard types that are not interchangeable.
- DC (direct current) is the unidirectional flow or movement of electric charge carriers (which are usually electrons). Direct current is produced by electrochemical and photovoltaic cells and batteries. In contrast, the electricity available from utility mains in most countries is AC (alternating current).
- A coaxial power connector is an electrical power connector used for attaching extra-low voltage devices such as consumer electronics to external electricity. Also known as barrel connectors, concentric barrel connectors or tip connectors, these small cylindrical connectors come in an enormous variety of sizes.
- Armored cable (Type AC) and metal clad cable (Type MC) provide a fast and efficient way of wiring both new construction and remodeling work. Their flexible metal armor provides mechanical protection of the electrical conductors while enabling them to bend around corners.
Wire is a single electrical conductor, whereas a cable is a group of wires swathed in sheathing. The term cable originally referred to a nautical line of multiple ropes used to anchor ships, and in an electrical context, cables (like wires) are used to carry electrical currents.
- With regard to electrical cables vs cords, the tendency is to use "cord" for a collection of insulated wires intended to be handled frequently (as a lamp cord or the cord for your earphones), and to use "cable" for a relatively fixed connection (as the wires in your walls or the cable connecting your TV to "cable").
- No physical money moves between locations. The term “wire transfer” comes from an era when banks relied on telegraph wires for this type of money transfer. A bank wire consists of instructions about who will get the money, including the bank account number and how much the recipient should get.
- another type of pure substance - consists of atoms of two or more elements always chemically combined in the same proportion. Is the copper in copper wire a pure substance (element or compound) or a mixture (homogeneous or heterogeneous)? Copper is an element, which is a pure substance.
Maximum current - amps - through a 12V circuit - related to size (AWG) and length of wire
|American Wire Gauge (#AWG)|
|Length (feet)||Maximum Current (amps)|
- UF cable. • “UF” = underground feeder; rated for in-ground and damp-area installation. • Looks like NM-B cable, but the wires are embedded as a group in solid thermoplastic (rather than individually encased in flexible thermoplastic).
- Gauge Thickness chart & Information:
Gauge -Thickness Dimension inches thick Dimension millimeters thick 2 .258 inch or slightly over 1/4 inch thick 6.54 mm 4 .204 inch 5.189 mm 6 .162 inch 4.1mm 8 .128 a little over 1/8 inch 3.26 mm Types of Cord Gauge Size Range Ampacity of Current-Carrying Conductors (amperes) 0 - 50 ft. (0 - 15.2 m) SJT - Service Junior Thermoplastic SJTOW - Service Junior Thermoplastic Oil Resistant Weather-resistant 18 AWG 10 Amps 7 Amps 16 AWG 13 Amps 10 Amps 14 AWG 18 Amps 15 Amps
Updated: 16th October 2019