Can you use although in the beginning of a paragraph?
If we were to use "however" instead of "although", this sentence would be correct. So in general, we use "however" at the beginning of a new sentence, with a comma after it. "Although" can be used at the beginning or in the middle of a sentence, but it doesn't have a comma afterwards.
There is a widespread belief—one with no historical or grammatical foundation—that it is an error to begin a sentence with a conjunction such as and, but or so. In fact, a substantial percentage (often as many as 10 percent) of the sentences in first-rate writing begin with conjunctions.
- Conjunctions. A conjunction (also called a connective) is a word such as and, because, but, for, if, or, and when. Conjunctions are used to connect phrases, clauses, and sentences.
- Therefore, the phrase such as Toyota and Ford is necessary. If these words are necessary, do not use commas. Usually only for example and for instance can begin new sentences. Each can begin a new sentence when the phrase is followed by a complete idea or sentence (not a list of items).
- There is a widespread belief—one with no historical or grammatical foundation—that it is an error to begin a sentence with a conjunction such as and, but or so. In fact, a substantial percentage (often as many as 10 percent) of the sentences in first-rate writing begin with conjunctions.
Remember that if you don't provide evidence, your argument might not be as persuasive.
- Start with a clear topic sentence that introduces the main point of your paragraph.
- Make your evidence clear and precise.
- When you can, use facts as your evidence.
- Consider how your body paragraphs flow together.
- Start With a Hook. Start your introduction with a sentence that gets the reader interested in the topic.
- Include Background. Providing readers with background on the topic allows them to better understand the issue being presented.
- State Your Thesis. The thesis is the essence of an argumentative essay.
- What to Leave Out.
- A persuasive paragraph tries to convince the reader that a particular point of view is worthy of consideration. It wants you to consider both sides of an issue, but it reveals a bias in favor of one side over another.
- Usage of Transition Words in Essays. Transition words and phrases are vital devices for essays, papers or other literary compositions. They improve the connections and transitions between sentences and paragraphs. They thus give the text a logical organization and structure (see also: a List of Synonyms).
Updated: 28th October 2019