Can you use a hand blender to make hummus?
Whilst a food processor is the best piece of equipment to blend the chickpeas (garbanzo beans), a hand blender will do the job, though your hummus may not be quite as smooth. Tahini (sesame paste) can sometimes thicken the hummus a little so blend the chickpeas and oil to a rough puree before adding the tahini.
The recipe is basically the same; the blender version just uses more liquid to get the blades moving, but somehow it comes out as thick as the food processor version. And the best part: if you want, you can use whole sesame seeds instead of tahini. The blender grinds them as it makes the hummus.
- Aquafaba (/ˌ?ːkw?ˈf?ːb?/) is the name for the viscous water in which legume seeds such as chickpeas have been cooked. Due to its ability to mimic functional properties of egg whites in cooking, aquafaba can be used as a direct replacement for them in some cases, including meringues and marshmallows.
- The most common way to use aquafaba is as a replacement for egg whites in a recipe, but it can also be used to substitute for egg yolks or whole eggs. Aquafaba substitution guidelines: 1 egg yolk: 1 tablespoon aquafaba. 1 egg white: 2 tablespoons aquafaba.
- 4. You didn't wait long enough. Unlike whipping egg whites and heavy cream, it takes quite a long time for aquafaba to whip. In fact, it can take up to 10 minutes to see any sort of peak form.
If time and patience allows, pinch the skins from each of the chickpeas; this will make your hummus smoother. Combine all ingredients in the food processor. Combine the chickpeas, olive oil, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper in the bowl of the food processor fitted with the blade attachment or blender.
- Canned chickpeas are already cooked and ready to serve, so you can eat them immediately or use them with other ingredients. To prepare dried chickpeas, you will need extra time. Place the dried chickpeas in a large bowl or pot, cover them with plenty of water and soak them for several hours or overnight.
- Hummus. Hummus is a Middle-Eastern spread made from chickpeas and tahini. It's nearly always vegan, and it's one of the most popular vegan foods on the planet. It's an incredibly simple recipe typically made of just six ingredients: ground up garbanzo beans; tahini, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, and salt.
- Rinse the chickpeas in cold water and tip into the food processor. Add the tahini, crushed garlic, salt, lemon juice and seven tablespoons of the reserved liquid from the cans. Turn on the food processor and slowly pour in the oil while it runs. When the mixture is fully combined and smooth, tip it into a serving dish.
Updated: 21st November 2019