If you use an e-reader, it's probably a Kindle, which means it can be a pain to use open-source e-book formats like EPUB. Calibre is a free, open-source e-book manager that lets users convert EPUB files to Kindle-readable MOBI files. Download and install Calibre.
What is an EPUB file?
EPUB is an e-book file format with the extension .epub that can be downloaded and read on devices like smartphones, tablets, computers, or e-readers. It is a technical standard published by the International Digital Publishing Forum (IDPF). The term is short for electronic publication and is sometimes styled ePub.
Can IPAD read EPUB files?
Make sure the free iBooks app is on your iPad. Drag and drop the ePub file onto your Library in iTunes on your computer. The ePub document is added to your iBooks collection inside the iBooks app. From now on, you can open the ePub document from the iBooks app on your iPad.
To transfer books to Kindle
- Connect your device to computer via USB.
- Double click the drive to open it and view the folders.
- Select the item you want to transfer (mobi or pdf).
- Copy books to the folder (documents) under Kindle drive.
- Or you can also use the Send-to-Kindle email address.
Content Formats Supported Kindle (AZW), TXT, PDF, Audible (Audible Enhanced (AA, AAX)), MP3, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively; HTML, DOC, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP through conversion. Amazon Customer says: Thanks, Joan. I've just copied your comment, put it into a TXT file and it is now on my Kindle.
Kindle Apps Won't Read Your eBooks. We recently discovered that the Kindle App, for both iPad and Android tablets, no longer supports .prc file formats. Instead, the app appears to only accept .azw files which are, essentially, just copy protected versions of the .prc or .mobi files many of us are accustomed to.
Go to the website of your local public library and search for Kindle books / eBooks. At checkout, sign in to your Amazon account, and select the Fire tablet, Kindle e-reader, or supported Kindle reading app to send the book to. Connect your device to Wi-Fi and download the title from the Archived Items or Cloud.
You are limited to the types of files supported on the Kindle: at present, these are .azw, .azw1, .txt, .mobi, and .prc. In addition, Kindle can read .pdf files (but these keep the pre-formatted paging and layout of the original file, rather than the dynamic/flowing text of an ebook.)
While it's not easy to find free Kindle books on Amazon, Mobipocket is exclusively about them. The site is owned by Amazon and lists over 11,500 free books. It's the only website, except Amazon, from where you can download books only for Kindle. The site is pretty simple and does nothing except listing books.
You can only use your Kindle to open Mobi files and you will not be able to use your Kindle to open an ePUB file. There are two options for transferring the Mobi file to your Kindle: Sending the file via email to your Kindle account, and onto your Kindle device or. via a USB cable.
If you have files on your computer that you need on your Kindle Paperwhite, you can transfer these with ease. Although e-mailing or sending a document to your Kindle Paperwhite is fast and easy, connecting your Kindle via USB cable and transferring books via drag-and-drop is simple too.
If you rely on a Kindle (or Kindle app) for reading, you probably know that it supports not only ebooks, but also PDFs. In fact, if you've done your homework, you also know that your Kindle (or Kindle app) has its own email address, meaning you can send any PDF straight to your device just by attaching it to an email.
To add a Future Horizons Mobipocket (“.mobi”) eBook to your Kindle:
- Turn your Kindle on.
- Connect the Kindle to your computer using the USB cable that came with your Kindle.
- Drag and drop the “.mobi” Ebook file into the documents folder on your Kindle.
To view or modify your Send to Kindle email address: Go to Manage Your Content and Devices. From Settings, scroll down to Personal Document Settings. Under Send-to-Kindle Email Settings, your Send to Kindle email address will be listed.
Read Aloud with VoiceOver. The Kindle app supports the iOS VoiceOver accessibility feature. With VoiceOver enabled on your device, audio support is provided for many books, periodicals, and features. From your iOS device Home, select the Settings icon.
You can also copy EPUB files into DropBox (or a similar service) and use the DropBox app to send them to Apple's book-reading app. More importantly, users can now open EPUB files directly from Mobile Safari and easily open them in iBooks, where they are saved automatically.
Use the following steps to enable email to your Kindle:
- 1.Go to your Kindle Personal Documents Settings page.
- 2.Under Approved Personal Document E-mail List, add your email address.
- 3.Under Send-to-Kindle E-Mail Settings, find and record your Kindle's email address. This address should end in "@kindle.com".
Method 1 Adding a PDF Via USB
- Convert the desired document into a PDF.
- Connect your Kindle to your computer.
- Locate your Kindle folder on your computer.
- Open your Kindle's files.
- Open the '''Documents''' folder.
- Locate the PDF you wish to transfer.
- Disconnect your Kindle.
- Unlock your device.
The Mobipocket ebook format, more commonly known as Mobi ebook, is another open standard for eBook publishing. It was bought by Amazon. It is also cross-platform. eBooks in this format can have the .prc or .mobi extension.
To transfer content from a computer to your Kindle:
- Go to Manage Your Content and Devices and locate the content you want to transfer to your Kindle.
- Select the Actions button next to the title, and click Download & Transfer via USB.
- From the drop-down menu, select your Kindle, and then click Download.
How to Transfer PDFs to a Kindle. Luckily, it only takes a few easy steps to move a PDF file from your PC or Mac to your Kindle. Locate the PDF file either on your desktop or within the file browser. Connect the Kindle to your computer via USB cable.
Add PDF to iPad via iTunes – alternative method
- First, open iTunes on your PC and navigate to the Books section.
- Click on the “PDFs” tab and drag drop any PDF file from your PC to the open iTunes window.
- Connect the iPad or iPhone and click on the device button once it appears in iTunes.