Can you charge any rechargeable battery with any charger?
Not significantly. So long as it is done using a properly designed smart charger, most NiMH batteries can be recharged in about an hour without any damage or significant reduction in their life. However, NiMH batteries must only be rapid charged with a charger specifically designed for charging NiMH batteries.
I recharged Rayovac AA rechargeable batteries but the manufacturer shouldn't matter (Energizer, Duracell, etc). The EBL charger package states it will charge AA/AAA NI-MH/NI-CD rechargeable batteries. It can charge Energizer "rechargeable" batteries, not the standard alkaline batteries.
- brief overview of all the different types of AA and AAA batteries today: Alkaline, Rechargeable Alkaline, NiZN, NiMH, NiCD, and lithium batteries (rechargeable and non-rechargeable) that are available in today's market. AA and AAA batteries are probably the most common battery sizes for consumers today.
- If you're tempted to test an alternator by disconnecting the negative battery cable, don't do it. A good alternator may indeed keep the engine running, but it was never a good test. In the pre-computer days, you could pull it off without damaging anything. Today, you risk frying every electrical device in your vehicle.
- Defective alternator diode. A car alternator recharges the battery and powers certain electrical systems. If your alternator has a bad diode, your battery can drain. The bad diode can cause the circuit to charge even when the engine is shut off, and you end up in the morning with a car that won't start.
Eneloop batteries can generally be charged with any kind of NiMH battery charger. Duracell, Energizer and no-name. But to keep things simple, you better stay away from these 2 kinds of chargers: Ultra fast chargers and Dumb chargers. Ultra Fast chargers use a very high current to charge your batteries.
- A. No eneloop batteries do not fall under the travel restrictions for Lithium batteries. eneloop batteries are Nickel Metal Hydride cells and considered “dry batteries”, not lithium technology.
- Eneloop batteries can generally be charged with any kind of NiMH battery charger. Duracell, Energizer and no-name. But to keep things simple, you better stay away from these 2 kinds of chargers: Ultra fast chargers and Dumb chargers. Ultra Fast chargers use a very high current to charge your batteries.
- Rechargeable alkaline batteries are manufactured fully charged and have the ability to hold their charge for years, longer than NiCd and NiMH batteries, which self-discharge. Rechargeable alkaline batteries can have a high recharging efficiency and have less environmental impact than disposable cells.
Compared to conventional battery chargers that take more than twice the amount of time to recharge batteries, the SANYO 4-position Ni-MH rechargeable battery charger can completely recharge fully discharged AA Ni-MH batteries in approximately 10 hours and 7 hours for AAA Ni-MH batteries.
- A: Cold weather is often fingered as the culprit when car batteries die, but actually warm temperatures do the most damage to them. But car batteries usually go dead in cold weather mostly because damage done during the summer doesn't show up until the battery is more taxed.
- Nominal battery performance is usually specified for working temperatures somewhere between 20°C and 30°C. The performance and indeed life of a battery can be seriously affected by the onset of extreme temperatures and, despite many consumer beliefs, heat is as big a cause of battery failure as is cold.
- Accumulating them for disposal later may be more detrimental to the environment. Remember, not all single-charge batteries are alkaline. Some (lithium, silver-zinc) contain hazardous substances and should not be added to the trash. They need to be recycled.
Updated: 17th October 2019