Can we grow plants without the sun?
The sun provides energy to the plants in the form of photons. So if you want to grow a plant without sunlight, you'll have to find a source of photons for the plant. A torch, a light bulb or any other artificial light also emits energy in the form of photons.
10 Houseplants That Don't Need Sunlight
- Peacock Plant (Calathea)
- Dumb Cane (Dieffenbachia)
- Dragon Tree (Dracaena marginata)
- Spider Plant (Chlorophytum comosum)
- Heart-Leaf Philodendron (Philodendron scandens)
- Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum)
- Chinese evergreen (Aglaonema)
- 14 Indoor Plants for Low Light
- ZZ Plant. ZZ plant grows well in a dry environment and pushes the low-light limit to its extreme.
- Snake Plant. Snake plant performs well in dry spells and handles moderate to low light with ease.
- Staghorn Fern.
- Scientists Grow Plants without Sunlight or Water. Any amateur gardener knows plants need two things to survive: sunlight and water. But tweak a few genes and those basic requirements can diminish or even disappear.
- The 9 Easiest Herbs to Grow Indoors
- Lemongrass. Technically, you don't even grow lemongrass, in that it's not planted in soil, making this one incredibly easy herb to keep in the house.
- Vietnamese Coriander.
If plants do not get sunlight, they cannot produce chlorophyll and they will lose their green color and eventually die. If plants lack any of the other things they need to grow, they will die. Note that some plants are not green, although they do have chlorophyll.
- Plants need nutrients from the soil, water, and light from the sun to grow and stay alive. If plants did not get water, they would die. The two main things plants need water for are turgor, to keep the upright and make sure it doesn't wilt and for photosynthesis.
- Plants make food in their leaves. The leaves contain a pigment called chlorophyll, which colors the leaves green. Chlorophyll can make food the plant can use from carbon dioxide, water, nutrients, and energy from sunlight. This process is called photosynthesis.
- Plants that Grow without Sunlight | 17 Best Plants to Grow Indoors
- Dracaena. Dracaena is a beautiful houseplant that you can grow at home.
- Bromeliads. Bromeliad is a perfect plant to grow indoors, most of the varieties of this plant thrive easily in a container in shade.
- Maidenhair Fern.
- Parlor Palm.
- Umbrella papyrus (Palm)
- Mother-in-law's Tongue (Snake Plant)
- Creeping Fig.
Consider experimenting with these vegetables that grow in shade:
- Bok Choi.
- Brussels Sprouts.
- 10 of the best fruit crops for shade
- Gooseberries. This easy shrub will grow in many types of soil and can cope with shade.
- Rhubarb. Rhubarb is a useful, trouble-free and good-looking crop for a shady spot.
- Redcurrants and whitecurrants.
- No artificial shade (trees, buildings, etc) are blocking sunlight from full-sun veggies.
- Cucumbers. One of the easiest to grow, cukes have very broad leaves, a common trait in many full-sun plants.
- Though these are all vegetables that grow in the shade, a few of the plants on this list (like cucumbers, squash, pole beans and cherry tomatoes) will produce less food in a shady garden than they would if grown in full sun.
Updated: 16th October 2019