Can the iPhone 5c get iOS 11?
Apple is releasing the latest version of its iOS operating system on Tuesday, but if you have an older iPhone or iPad, you may not be able to install the new software. The company did not make a version of the new iOS, dubbed iOS 11, for the iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, or fourth-generation iPad.
Apple's iOS 11 update ends support for iPhone 5 and 5C. Apple's iOS 11 mobile operating system will not be available for the iPhone 5 and 5C or the iPad 4 when it is released in the autumn. The iPhone 5S and newer devices will receive the upgrade but some older apps will no longer work afterwards.
- Apple just announced the iPhone SE, a 4-inch phone with the guts of an iPhone 6S that looks a lot like the 5S. So, naturally, Apple has apparently discontinued the iPhone 5S. (Though, if you're quick, you can probably still catch some of the remaining stock before the 5S is really gone.)
- height: 4.90 inches; width: 2.33 inches; depth: 0.35 inch (124.4 by 59.2 by 8.97 millimeters).
- As iOS has matured, Apple has gradually extended how long it supports the machines in the iPhone family. When iOS 5 launched in 2011, it supported the previous three years of devices. With this week's release of iOS 10, it's covering five years' worth, going all the way back to 2012's iPhone 5.
The prices are less stable when it comes to the iPhone 5c. A blue 16-GB Sprint model is worth only $117.40 while a few 32-GB models can fetch as much as $400. Meanwhile, most AT&T, Verizon and unlocked iPhone 5s devices are worth more than $300.
- Then there was the price. The iPhone debuted at $499 for the 4GB and $599 for the 8GB model on-contract. Those prices weren't unheard of at the time—early Motorola RAZR flip phones were incredibly expensive as well—but it meant Apple couldn't penetrate the mainstream market.
- Rather than update the controversial iPhone 5C, Apple has decided to slot that in as a free offering (with 8GB of storage, down from the 16GB it launched with), while the iPhone 5S now occupies its place at the $99 price point (both with a two-year contract, of course).
- Here's How Much Your iPhone 4 Is Worth
eBay Instant Sale Amazon Trade-in 16GB AT&T $200 $195.50 16GB Verizon $190 $195.50 8GB AT&T $190 $195 8GB Verizon $170 $200
iPhone 5C – Camera Image Quality and Performance. The iPhone 5C's rear camera hardware is functionally identical to that of the iPhone 5. It has an 8-megapixel Sony sensor that's 1/3.2-inch in size, resulting in 1.4-micron sensor pixels. However, it remains an excellent camera for the average person.
- The iPhone 6 Plus has an 8-megapixel rear-facing iSight camera with large 1.5-micron pixels, ƒ/2.2 aperture, True Tone flash, improved face detection, new Best Shot mode and optical image stabilization. It is capable of shooting high-dynamic range (HDR) photos and taking 43-megapixel panorama images.
- iPhone 6: Camera. Yet again, at face value the iPhone 6's camera is just like the iPhone 5S's one. It has an 8-megapixel 1/3-inch sensor with a 1.5µm pixel size. So far so last year, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, the iPhone 5S still has one of the best cameras around.
- Apple arch-rival Samsung includes a 16-megapixel camera in its Galaxy S5 phone. The main camera on the latest upgrades to the iPhone line still has just 8 megapixels. Yet the images from both the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus are the best I've tested on a phone to date.
Updated: 6th December 2019