Can the 4s get iOS 10?
Come this fall, though, you won't be able to upgrade it to iOS 10. Here's the complete list of Apple devices that will be supported by iOS 10. That doesn't mean the phone will stop working. Like the older iPhones, such as the iPhone 4 or 3S, you can still use it with the latest iOS version it supports.
The iPhone 4 is the latest Apple handset to fall by the wayside: the four year old handset won't be getting Apple's iOS 8 operating system upgrade, which will be arriving later this year. According to Apple, the oldest iPhone model to get iOS 8 will be the iPhone 4s (the oldest iPad will be the iPad 2).
- iOS 8 will be compatible with iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPod touch 5th generation, iPad 2, iPad with Retina display, iPad Air, iPad mini, and iPad mini with Retina display. So it looks like the iPhone 4 is officially dead to Apple.
- To update the Apple iPhone 4 to iOS 7, iTunes version 11 must be installed on the computer prior to installing the update. Press the Power button to power the iPhone on. Connect the iPhone to the computer using the supplied USB cable. When tethered, iTunes opens automatically on the computer.
- You can also update to iOS 7 via iTunes 11.1, which was just released on the Apple website (and you will need it if you wish to sync your device via USB.) You can install iOS 7 on the iPhone 4, 4S, and 5, the fifth-gen iPod Touch, and every iPad and iPad Mini except the original iPad.
Update 2: According to Apple's official press release, the iPhone 4S, iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad mini, and fifth-generation iPod Touch will not run iOS 10. iPhone 5, 5C, 5S, 6, 6 Plus, 6S, 6S Plus, and SE. iPad 4, iPad Air, and iPad Air 2.
- As expected, Apple has begun rolling iOS 11 out to iPhones and iPads today in most regions. Devices as far back as the iPhone 5S, the iPad Air, and the iPad mini 2 can update to iOS 11. But the iPhone 5 and 5C, as well as the fourth generation iPad and the very first iPad mini, are not supported by iOS 11.
- The iPad Mini 1 has a screen size of 7.9 inches, much smaller than the standard iPad screen, which measures in at 9.7 inches. This mini tablet computer comes with iOS 6.0 installed, but it can be upgraded to later versions, including iOS 7.0.
- On an iPhone running iOS 10.3 or later:
- Open the Settings app.
- At the top, you'll see your Apple ID/iCloud profile photo and your name. Tap on it.
- Scroll down until you see your devices. The first device should be your iPhone; you will see the name of your device. Tap on it.
Owners of iPhone 4s and later, iPad 2 and later, iPod touch (5th generation) and later can get this update, according to Apple's support website. You should be automatically notified that it's available, or you can update manually using iTunes.
- All iOS updates from Apple are free. Simply plug your 4S into your computer running iTunes, run a backup, and then initiate a software update. But be warned - the 4S is the oldest iPhone still supported on iOS 9, so performance may not meet your expectations.
- Apple on Monday introduced iOS 11, the next major version of its mobile operating system for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. iOS 11 is compatible with 64-bit devices only, meaning the iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, and iPad 4 do not support the software update.
- The iPhone 4S was first shipped with iOS 5, which was released on October 12, 2011, 2 days before the release of the device. The 4S uses iOS 5.1.1, which was released on May 7, 2012. As of September 2015, the device can be updated to iOS 9.
Updated: 30th August 2018