Can I use my iPhone 6 with TracFone?
Additionally, since all Verizon iPhone 6 and iPhone 5 models are SIM unlocked you can use them with the Tracfone AT&T LTE Network. The only limitation is specifically with the iPhone 5, which will not get LTE service on the AT&T network because the phone itself doesn't support AT&T's LTE network.
Straight Talk also allows customers to bring AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon, or unlocked GSM phones to Straight Talk by buying a SIM card or activation kit and air time from the company. This program does not work with branded Straight Talk, SafeLink, TracFone, Total Wireless, and NET10 phones.
- The simplest reason to unlock your phone is to use it on another GSM network. U.S. GSM virtual carriers compatible with unlocked phones include Cricket, MetroPCS, Simple Mobile, Straight Talk, H2O Wireless, Black Wireless, Ready SIM, and many others. Large CDMA carriers, in general, do not accept unlocked phones.
- Review the following guidelines to check if you'll need a TracFone BYOP SIM. If your phone is an Unlocked GSM Phone, or a phone compatible with Verizon, you will need a TracFone BYOP Verizon compatible SIM. If your phone is a CDMA compatible LTE phone, you will need a TracFone CDMA Compatible BYOP SIM.
- TracFone has entered into an agreement with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regarding handset unlocking. TracFone will begin launching handsets that are capable of being unlocked. Beginning May 1, 2016, SafeLink subscribers with handsets that cannot be unlocked may be eligible for a replacement phone.
All Tracfone cell phones that end with this 'G' use the GSM network, which is either T-Mobile or AT&T. GSM phones have been very popular with Tracfone, but recently there has been a wave of Android smartphones for Tracfone and they all use Verizon CDMA service.
- According to a February PhoneNews report, Total Wireless is owned by América Móvil, which also operates the TracFone Wireless family of MVNO brands. The report also said that the Total Wireless service runs on Verizon's network.
- All GSM devices are designed so that service is provisioned using a SIM card. With an unlocked device, a GSM smartphone can be reprovisioned and used on another network simply by popping out the old SIM card and putting in a new one from the new carrier. EV-DO is the 3G technology used on CDMA networks.
- The Straight Talk SIM card will only work with an AT&T or T-mobile compatible or unlocked GSM phone. Blackberrys and branded TracFone, SafeLink, NET10 or Straight Talk phones will not work with Straight Talk's Bring Your Own Phone program. To see if your phone will work, check compatibility.
Updated: 20th September 2018