Can babies live at 21 weeks?
Last month, a baby girl widely considered the most premature European baby ever to survive left a German hospital and headed home. Frieda Mangold was born more than four months early, at 21 weeks and five days. She weighed a smidge over a pound.
At 21 weeks pregnant, baby is as big as a head of endive. At 10.5 inches and about 12.7 ounces, baby's big enough now that you've probably been feeling his or her fetal movements more and more lately. 21 weeks pregnant is 4 months and about three weeks.
- 1-4 weeks= 1 month 5-8 weeks= 2 months 9-12 weeks= 3 months 13-17 weeks= 4 months 18-22 weeks= 5 months 23-27 weeks= 6 months 28-32 weeks= 7 months 33-36 weeks = 8 months 36-40 weeks= 9 months The confusion here is that while at 9 weeks you are fully 2 months pregnant and in the first week of your third month of
- Your baby weighs about 10 1/2 ounces now. He's also around 6 1/2 inches long from head to bottom and about 10 inches from head to heel – about the length of a large banana.
- PUPPS is short for pruritic urticarial papules and plaques of pregnancy. It's also known as PUPPP. In the UK, it's known as polymorphic eruption of pregnancy, or PEP. PUPPS is an itchy skin rash that seems to start in the stretch marks of the abdomen and spreads.
You are 4 and 1/2 months pregnant. Once you are 22 weeks you are 5 months pregnant. This is going by the "what to expect when you're expecting" monthly chapters, not by dividing 4 into 21. A month is not exactly 4 weeks contrary to what the previous rather rude poster alluded to.
- Babies born under 21 weeks did not survive, even in cases where medical treatment was provided. The typical survival rate for premature babies born at 22 weeks ranges from 2 percent to 15 percent and is “an uncommon event,” according the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
- According to exact mathematical calculation, you are 5 months and 2.5 days pregnant while at 22 weeks. That means your 6th month have already been started. I am 22 weeks and 3 days pregnant and whenever get time, I start calculating my pregnancy in months, days, etc.
- Growth chart: Fetal length and weight, week by week
Gestational age Length (US) Weight (US) 20 weeks 10.08 inches 10.58 ounces 21 weeks 10.51 inches 12.70 ounces 22 weeks 10.94 inches 15.17 ounces 23 weeks 11.38 inches 1.10 pound
Updated: 27th September 2018