Are there different size iPad cases?
Because the third-and fourth-generation iPad models have the same body size, many cases are made to fit both, but there are a few exceptions. Many cases made for the iPad 2 also fit the third-generation iPad, but not all do.
The original iPad Air and iPad Air 2 models are both 9.4 inches tall and 6.6 inches wide when held in portrait (vertical) orientation, but the iPad Air 2 is slightly thinner (0.24 of an inch compared to 0.29 of an inch) and lighter (just slightly under a pound compared to just slightly over a pound).
- Tap the Settings button from the iPad home screen and then tap on the General button on the left side of the screen.
- Within General, tap on About and find the Model value on the right-side of the screen.
- To match the model number with a specific version of iPad hardware, see: Lookup Mac Specs?
- Models of iPads sold in Australia
Model* Year Introduced Model Number iPad 5 (iPad Air) Wi-Fi + Cellular Late 2013 A1475 iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi Late 2013 A1489 iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular Late 2013 A1490 iPad 4 (iPad with Retina display) Wi-Fi Late 2012 A1458
- Update 2: According to Apple's official press release, the iPhone 4S, iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad mini, and fifth-generation iPod Touch will not run iOS 10.
Height and width-wise, all three iPads are identical, but in a somewhat puzzling move, Apple's new entry-level iPad is a full 1.4 mm thicker. This unfortunately means that if you owned cases for either the iPad Air 2 or 9.7-inch iPad Pro, none of them will fit this new iPad.
- Details: The iPad (5th Gen) models (held vertically) are 9.4 inches tall, 6.6 inches wide, and 0.29 of an inch deep (240 mm x 169.5 mm x 7.5 mm).
- The iPad 5 is also slightly thinner, but the biggest and most noticeable change has to be how wide it is. The display size is still 9.7-inches, but the frame has been made thinner so the tablet is now just 17cm wide. The iPad 4 is 18.5cm wide.
- No Match. The new iPad Mini 4 has gotten a complete redesign and is much thinner and lighter than its predecessors. Cases for the iPad Mini 1, 2 and 3 will not fit the iPad Mini 4 very well, but screen protectors will.
While you might think that both tablets are the exact same size, the iPad Air 2 is actually just slightly slimmer than the iPad Air, but other than, they're essentially the same. However, that difference in thickness can drastically change how the newer tablet fits in older cases.
Updated: 2nd October 2019