Are steroids bad for your heart?
NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Bulking up with anabolic steroids appears to damage and weaken the heart, a new study shows, in principle increasing the odds of heart failure. In heart failure, a weakened heart can't pump enough blood around the body.
The Safest and Most Effective Cycles
|Fluoxymesterone||Risk of liver damage||Low-Moderate|
|Methandrostenolone||Hair loss, edema, gyno, liver||Moderate|
- Steroids tablets are usually taken once a day, preferably in the morning, with or after food. They are sometimes prescribed to be taken every other day. Enteric-coated tablets should be swallowed whole, not crushed or chewed. The correct dose will depend on your condition and your weight.
- Steroid drugs, such as prednisone, work by lowering the activity of the immune system. The immune system is your body's defense system. Steroids work by slowing your body's response to disease or injury. Prednisone can help lower certain immune-related symptoms, including inflammation and swelling.
- Some athletes take a form of steroids — known as anabolic-androgen steroids or just anabolic steroids — to increase their muscle mass and strength. The main anabolic steroid hormone produced by your body is testosterone. Testosterone has two main effects on your body: Anabolic effects promote muscle building.
According to the Australian Institute of Criminology, "possession, use and supply of steroids, other than by prescription from a medical practitioner, dentist or veterinarian is illegal throughout Australia as is unauthorised importation".
- In some places, such as in the United States, using or possessing any anabolic steroid without a prescription is illegal. In other countries like Mexico, you can find anabolic steroids in pharmacies and drug stores and you can buy them without prescriptions. Below is a look at which steroids are legal around the world.
- Steroids are used as the main treatment for certain inflammatory conditions, such as systemic vasculitis (inflammation of blood vessels) and myositis (inflammation of muscle). They may also be used selectively to treat inflammatory conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, Sjögren's syndrome, or gout.
- Individuals who abuse steroids can experience withdrawal symptoms when they stop taking steroids, such as mood swings, fatigue, restlessness, loss of appetite, insomnia, reduced sex drive, and steroid cravings. The most dangerous of the withdrawal symptoms is depression, because it sometimes leads to suicide attempts.
Updated: 20th September 2018