Are black widow spiders aggressive?
Each year 12 bites are considered serious but no deaths have been reported in 100 years. Black widows are not especially aggressive spiders, and they rarely bite humans unless startled or otherwise threatened.
Sightings of Steatoda nobilis, the false widow spider, are on the rise. It is being cited as Britain's most venomous spider, and it is spreading. But experts say the species is not usually aggressive towards humans and that being bitten is rare.
- Sightings of Steatoda nobilis, the false widow spider, are on the rise. It is being cited as Britain's most venomous spider, and it is spreading. But experts say the species is not usually aggressive towards humans and that being bitten is rare.
- Hourglass marking: Black widows are identified by red hourglass marking on the underside of their abdomens. Color: Black widows are shiny black in color. Size: Most black widow spiders' bodies are 3 to 10 mm in size. Females are larger than males and can measure 13 mm in body length.
- Like almost all spiders, Steatoda nobilis is venomous, but its bite is almost exclusively of mild effect on humans, without the severe consequences that can occur with black widow spiders.
Southern black widow: 1 – 3 years
- If you ever think that you've been bitten by a black widow spider, tell an adult immediately. Black widow spider bites rarely kill people, but it's important to get medical attention as soon as you can because they can make you very sick. With an adult's help, wash the bite well with soap and water.
- Part 2 Hunting and Killing Black Widow Spiders
- Locate as many spider webs as you can during the day.
- Try using dust applications and liquid spot treatments.
- Return to the webs at night to kill the spiders.
- Eliminate the egg sacs.
- Know what to do if you are bitten.
- Male black widows are not black, but brown or gray with small red spots. Black widows are poisonous arachnids—animals that have a skeleton outside their body, a segmented body, and eight jointed legs.
Updated: 28th September 2018